Friday, July 20, 2012

The girl who walked me, that day and everyday after then.

Raju just started turning around. Earlier though, he used to be ten handsful. This story dates back then.

The kid has the will power that can easily break yours. "Give me a star and then Ill decide if I want to sit in your class.", he ordered me around. All of 6, he almost broke the classroom door into half when I refused to let him out. Lay flat on the floor and cried non stop for 2 days, morning 9 to evening 3. (Yes, Im serious)
You can be a firm teacher, but only till so long. I was beginning to crumble on the second day. All teachers will tell you, if a kid cries, you cry even louder inside.
  Lot of other things were going on too.
It was one of those days when my lessons weren't exactly bomb diggity. Kids are stronger than sniffer dogs. They sense your lack of confidence in seconds. Then they get cranky. The lessons suffer even more. It is a viscous cycle.


Post lunch that day, I was getting jittery. Walking back to the class, I could not think of something to teach them. My plans seemed so out of context then. All of my mindspace refused to work. And then it happened.

Mehraj, walks up to me from the behind, holds my palm with both her hands, looks into my eyes and says, "No sad sir. Raju brother like that only. But you, my best sir".

Mehraj, while I know you might not be able to read this today, and you might not read this ever, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for giving me the love, strength and courage to push me through my lowest lows.

Mehraj, since that day, always holds my hand and walks me till my bike. :-)

No comments: